30th October 2015
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Question: I intend to perform Hajj Tamattu and want to know what should I do if I menstruate before or after I enter into Ihrām. If before the 8th Dhul Hijjah, I still menstruate then how should I come out of Ihrām? If I cannot complete Umrah because of menstruation then should I cut my hair to come out of Ihrām? Because of menstruation, I could not complete Umrah before the 8th Dhul Hijjah, what type of Hajj must I make the intention of? Can I still make intention for Hajj of Tamattu?
الجواب حامداً و مصلياً
In the name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
Menstrual related queries for women during Hajj are very common and can be somewhat complexed and confusing if not understood properly. There are number of scenarios in your question, from which the most common ones are outlined below so to give you a basic understanding of what to do in each given case.
You make the intention to perform Tamattu Hajj but envisage the possibility of either;
- Menstruate before putting on your Ihrām and will finish before the 8th of Dhul Hijjah (which is the 1st day of Hajj), for instance, you stop on the 7th, or
- Menstruate after putting on your Ihrām but will stop before the 8th of Dhul Hijjah, or
- Menstruate before or after your Ihrām and will most likely extend beyond the 8th, eventually entering into the actual days of Hajj.
In scenario 1 & 2 the ruling is straight forward, as in to simply remain in the state of Ihrām until you finish menstruating and thereafter have a bath and perform Umrah as Umrah can be performed any time before the 8th Dhul-Hijjah. After coming out of the Umrah Ihrām, the Ihrām intention for Hajj must be renewed on the night of 8th before Fajr.
The third scenario, more so relevant to your case is as follows,
- If your menses starts after Ihrām of Umrah then you must come out of Ihrām by cutting your hair. This is known as rafdh – meaning abandoning or breaking your Umrah before completing its ritual acts. As a result of coming out of Ihrām of Umrah earlier, you must give a Damm (sacrifice a sheep or goat) and also make Qadha of the Umrah after completing your Hajj.
- In the case where you menstruate before putting on your Ihrām of Tamattu (with the likely chance of extending beyond the 8th) then I would suggest you make the intention of Hajj of Ifrād instead. Ifrād means intending to perform Hajj alone, thus no need to worry about performing Umrah. The moment you reach Makkah (after making the intention of Ifrād) you will remain in the state of Ihrām until the 10th of Dhul-Hijjah. There is no penalty for missing the initial Tawāf Qudoom. For a mufrid (the one performing Ifrād) sacrificing an animal on the 10th of Dhul-Hijjah is not compulsory, thus you may come out of Ihrām before that. But if you still intend to perform Tamattu then refer to the above.
[Allãh Knows Best]
Written by (Mufti) Abdul Waheed
Answer Attested by Shaykh Mufti Saiful Islam
JKN Fatawa Department
 Fatawa Hindiyyah, Kitāb al-Manāsik, Bāb Izāfatul Ihrām ilal Ihrām p. 280 vol 1
وَلَوْ أَحْرَمَ بِالْعُمْرَةِ ثُمَّ بِالْحَجِّ وَلَمْ يَأْتِ بِشَيْءٍ مِنْ أَفْعَالِ الْعُمْرَةِ فَإِنَّهُ يَرْفُضُ الْعُمْرَةَ اتِّفَاقًا هَكَذَا فِي الْكَافِي فَإِنْ طَافَ لِعُمْرَتِهِ أَرْبَعَةَ أَشْوَاطٍ ثُمَّ أَحْرَمَ بِالْحَجِّ رَفَضَ الْحَجَّ بِلَا خِلَافٍ وَعَلَيْهِ دَمُ الرَّفْضِ أَيَّهُمَا رَفَضَهُ إلَّا أَنَّ فِي رَفْضِ الْعُمْرَةِ قَضَاءَهَا وَفِي رَفْضِ الْحَجِّ قَضَاءَهُ وَعُمْرَةً
Ibn Humām, Fathul Qadeer, Kitāb al-Hajj, p. 429 vol 2
وَفِي الصَّحِيحَيْنِ مِنْ «قَوْلِ عَائِشَةَ – رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهَا – يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ تَنْطَلِقُونَ بِحَجَّةٍ وَعُمْرَةٍ وَأَنْطَلِقُ بِحَجٍّ؟ فَأَمَرَ عَبْدَ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنَ أَبِي بَكْرٍ أَنْ يَخْرُجَ مَعَهَا إلَى التَّنْعِيمِ فَاعْتَمَرَتْ بَعْدَ الْحَجِّ»
 Fatawa Hindiyyah, Kitāb al-Manāsik, Bāb Kaifiyyatu Adāil Hajj p. 255 vol 1
ثُمَّ يَرْجِعُ إلَى مِنًى فَإِنْ كَانَ مَعَهُ نُسُكٌ ذَبَحَهُ، وَإِنْ لَمْ يَكُنْ فَلَا يَضُرُّهُ لِأَنَّهُ مُفْرِدٌ بِالْحَجِّ